Saturday 22 January 2011

The WireWorkers Guild





















JANUARY
is always a difficult month:
it's still so dark, cold and we're all a little tired and
poor from Christmas festivities ...
However, this week's Feature Artist and Guild Member,
is bound
to cheer you up with her colourful and vibrant designs!

Originally from New Zealand, but now living in Birmingham,

a full time Mum with 4 kids, who still finds time to create beautiful
wire jewellery! Read on to hear all about this week's

FEATURED ARTIST
:
*************************************************

SUE MASON - BURNS
*************************************************

TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF? WHAT INSPIRED
YOU TO S
TART MAKING JEWELLERY?

I am a native New Zealander and I came to the UK
in 1996 to travel and decided to stop in Birmingham
to meet my penfriend. To cut a long story short, I
married him and didn't go any further with my travels ...!!
We now live happily in Birmingham with our four
children.






















(Above: Twisted Wire, Stone Set Bangle by Sue Mason-Burns)

I started making jewellery three years ago when a friend
and I decided to make a pact to have a handmade
Christmas, because funds were low. This seemed like a
great idea, until it dawned on me that this particular
friend is a talented artist and very adept at many different
handcrafts. I needed to find something and fast!
So, I decided to have a go at making my own jewellery
and soon became hooked! I started out stringing beads
(and do still make strung items). Then, whilst browsing
in a bookshop one day, I found one of Linda Jones's books.
I bought it for myself as a treat and my addiction moved
from beads to wire.























(Above: Flower Necklace by Sue Mason-Burns)

ARE YOU SELF-TAUGHT OR HAVE YOU ATTENDED
COURSES AND CLASSES?

I am completely self taught. I have thought about going
to classes many times, but time is a precious thing when
you have four children. Therefore, I have not managed
to get to one yet ...

I have a fabulous group of like-minded jewellery friends,
who I met on Facebook and we all regularly swap skills
and help each other out when we can. Unfortunately, we
don't get to physically meet up very often, as we are
scattered far and wide. However, we are always in contact
online, helping and supporting each other.























(Above: Coloured Wiggly Wire Bangle by Sue Mason-Burns)

WHAT THEMES OR IDEAS ARE YOU DRAWN TO FOR
DESIGN INSPIRATION?

EVERYTHING seems to get me going when it comes to
designing new jewellery. Sometimes a bit too much!
My husband has learned to recognise 'that certain look'
I get in my eyes when I have seen something that I am
translating into a piece of jewellery in my head!






















(Above: Wire Flora Bangle by Sue Mason-Burns)

DO YOU SELL YOUR JEWELLERY? - IF SO, WHERE?

I sell my jewellery online via Folksy:

http://www.folksy.com/shops/kiwichickcreations/

and also at market stalls when I can.























(Above: Squiggle Wire Bangle by Sue Mason-Burns)


I have also been lucky enough to be involved in a
monthly Community Market:

http://www.stirchleycommunitymarket.wordpress.com/
based in Stirchley, near where I live. This is the friendliest
market I have every attended. I don't even mind if I don't
sell much when I'm there, as the people are so friendly.
It's just nice to have such lovely conversations!























(Above: Flower Swirl Bangle by Sue Mason-Burns)

DO YOU HAVE A FAVOURITE DESIGN?

As the old saying goes, my favourite is the one I am looking
at at this very moment. I like to vary what I do as much as
I can and where possible. I never make the same design twice
(unless I am specifically commissioned to do so).























(Above: Heart Cuff by Sue Mason-Burns)

WHAT ARE YOUR ASPIRATIONS AND GOALS FOR
THE FUTURE?

My overall goal for the future is to keep learning new skills
and improving the ones I already have. I love working in
wire, it's my favourite material and most of what I do now
involves trying to incorporate other materials into my
wirework. I would also like to investigate working with
metals. Perhaps trying to learn some silversmithing skills
or enamelling. Making jewellery is such a large and varied
craft, there is so much to learn and just not enough time
to do it all!























(Above: Bluebelle Bangle by Sue Mason-Burns)

**************************************************************************************************

I am sure that all the Guild members will agree, that Sue
has achieved so much in three years ... fitting in her
wire creations between bringing up 4 children is a
juggle and a struggle ... so, 'well done' and keep evolving
with the colourful designs!


2 comments:

  1. Sue's story is very interesting and to fit all this in along with 4 children shows great determination. Well done! Lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you need free YouTube Subscribers?
    Did you know you can get them ON AUTO-PILOT & ABSOLUTELY FREE by getting an account on Like 4 Like?

    ReplyDelete